[ Click on Image to Enlarge ]
The City of Shoreacres is a small community that began when
Shoreacres, Inc. subdivided the North part of the Hunning 800 acres out
of the W. P. Harris Survey. The plat indicating lots, blocks and newly
dedicated public streets was filed of record with the Harris County
Clerk on February 16, 1925. A short time thereafter, country homes designed with plenty of windows for the ocean breeze were built on the wooded
and seacoast tracts. In an effort to enhance the country club atmosphere, Shoreacres, Inc. donated six acres of ocean front property in 1927 to be the site of the current Houston Yacht Club which is still Shoreacres' sole business establishment.
With the increasing population, Shoreacres was incorporated as a city in November 1962. Currently, the City of Shoreacres population is approximately 1700 people, but the City still retains a resort-like atmosphere. The small country town ambiance serves as a retreat from the hustle and bustle of our neighboring large cities.
Prior to incorporation, the affairs of the community were administered
by the Shore Acres Maintenance Corp (SAMC).
In 1948 the SAMC was under
the direction of President Underwood and six standing committees. These
committees were: Water Committee, Mr. Mason Chairman; Pier and
Recreation Committee, Mr. Rees Chairman; Garbage and Sanitation
Committee, Mr. C. H. Counts Chairman; Police and Fire Committee, Mr.
Spear Chairman; Road and Drainage Committee, Mr. W. K. Jobson Chairman;
and the Finance Committee, Mr. Underwood Chairman. Other committees
included a Planning and Scheduling Committee.
On May 14, 1949, an election was held to
determine if the Town of Shoreacres should be incorporated. Twenty-five
duly qualified voters in favor of "corporation" (23 for, 2 against).
In 1949 the SAMC President was C. H. Counts;
Vice-President E. C. Rees; Secretary-Treasurer J. B. Harkness; Water
Commissioner H. Simmons; Fire Marshal P. J. Wallace; Waste Collection J.
C. Phillips; Roads and Drainage C. H. Counts; Beautification and Pier E.
In 1950 Joe Phillips, P. J. Wallace and R. H. Mason
were appointed to the Board of Directors.
On December 31, 1951, the SAMC was dissolved and the water lease
was transferred to the Town of Shoreacres. The last seven Directors
were: Mrs Lyndes, Mr. Jobson, Mr. Ochover, Mr. Reichardt, Mr. Simmons,
Mr. McMillan, and Mr. Wells.
Past Members of City Council
Citizen / Employee of the Year
[ top of page